Our mission and vision
MISA’s mission is to achieve media freedom and free expression for all as an essential part of strengthening democracy in southern Africa.
We aim to create a media environment that is:
- Led by a vibrant, professional and participatory media sector;
- Characterised by independence, pluralism and a diversity of views and opinions, media sustainability, competency and professionalism;
- Where all members of society can exercise their right to access information, making citizens more informed and strengthening democracy; and
- Where all members of society can exercise their basic human right to freely express themselves through any media they choose.
MISA’s vision is of a southern Africa where everyone enjoys freedom of expression and pluralism of views and opinions.
Our vision is of a region where:
- All members of society, individually or collectively, are free to express themselves without hindrance through any media;
- All sectors of society are empowered to access media and information without hindrance;
- Media is free, independent, diverse and pluralistic;
- Media workers are competent, critical, accountable, sensitive to gender issues and the rights of children and aware of their responsibility to society; and
- Laws, regulations and policy environments support media independence, diversity and pluralism.